Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Cranberrry sauce!!!

T-day minus 1!!! I can finally start, I have been eagerly waiting for this for a while and in particular I have been drooling over that cranberry sauce, I am the only one to like cranberries but love them plenty for two so this is actually a good thing. I have craved it so much that I had to go to Ikea last week to have their meatballs with mashed potatoes, gravy and lingonberry sauce just to have a fix.

I woke up early this morning because I was so excited, I knew I had to get the turkey in the brine so it would have 24h in it, I will write about it later but I can already tell you that I washed my kitchen floor once with the brine... it seems that I have to do that at least once a year based on last year... at least my computer screen was not in the way this time it's already some improvement (right?). Next step not pour the brine all over, I know...

When I first saw this homemade cranberry sauce recipe by Brown eyed baker (by the way you should totally check out her blog, it is fantastic!!!) I thought that the sauce looked a little thin for my taste. This was actually my excuse for making it a day ahead thinking that I might try to add gelatine to it to make more like cranberry gelee but with pieces. I just modified the steps ever slightly and now it's perfect for me, a texture closer to apple sauce, the toughest part will be to have any left to go with the turkey tomorrow.

I love it so much that I might use it as jam on bread an yogurt, it's tart, slightly sweet with a delicious citrus flavor. I could just fill a bath tub with it and dive right in... I won't judge you if you take a spoon to it, I promise! and I did, maybe even more than one...

Ingredients:
- 12oz bag of fresh cranberries (might also work with frozen ones, I am not sure) rinsed and dried 
- 1 3/4 c sugar
- 1 grannysmith apple finely chopped
- zest & juice of 1 lemon
- zest & juice of 1 orange
 Place cranberries, sugar and 1 cup of water in a medium sauce pan. Cook over low eat until the cranberries pop open (they are popping on that picture), about 5 to 10 minutes
 Add the apple, lemon and orange zest and juice. I zested and juiced the fruits first and then poured them over the apple as soon as I was done chopping so that they did not turn into a brown oxidized mess
If you want a more liquid texture cook for 15 minute, remove from the heat, cool, chill and serve (see original post for that result). If like me you want more of an apple sauce texture, cook for 15 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally and smash the cranberries some while they cook.
Let cool down, chill and serve (if you manage not to eat them all before serving time, I know I cannot promise that :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment