Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving Part 1, buttermilk biscuits

Thanksgiving it self and the cooking are over but the food is still there to enjoy. I thoroughly enjoyed planning and cooking, cleaning not so much, but who does :). I have left over for everything except for those biscuits I am sharing with you today. I discovered a very dangerous secret yesterday, buttermilk biscuits are as easy to make as they are delicious. They are rich and filling and yet you keep going back for more until you are so full that you feel sick (let's be honest that's part of Thanksgiving...)

Anyway, biscuits are something fairly new to me, until 4 years ago biscuits meant cookies for me and cookies meant choc chip cookies. Having spend 4 years in the south I now know what biscuits are and they have been part a center part of brunch but I always made them out of the can (yes I know, shame on me... but I still cannot make those layered ones... so I might have to get them sometimes.... please don't judge me!!!). Anyway, I always thought that buttermilk biscuits were kind of heavy and tough to make but boy was I wrong! yes they are dense but they are also melt in your mouth delicious, this is if they don't turn into hockey pucks....

I did not modify the recipe I am sharing here at all, this is the original one, please go there for more detailed instructions, this blog is totally awesome, I will just share here my own experience. Like most flaky doughs the key is cold fat and quick work (this and the fact that my hands were kind of yucky is why there is no picture for the last step... sorry). This was the last recipe of the day so hunger was also peeking around the corner and that golden turkey starring at me on the counter top was not helping me be thorough w that recipe I have to admit
Ingredients
- 1 stick of cold butter (1/2 c) (I diced mine and put it in the freezer for 15 minutes before hand)
- 1 c AP flour
- 1 c cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 c cold buttermilk

Instructions
 Preheat the oven to 450F
Put all the dry ingredient in the bowl of a food processor equipped with a metal blade. Pulse a few times until combined.

 Add the butter uniformly and pulse until you get a wet sand consistency with some morsels of butter about the size of peas.
Pour the buttermilk evenly over the mixture (see picture)
Pulse until it comes together into moist clumps.
Dump the mixture on lightly floured surface and quickly form into a ball. Gently flatten into a 3/4 inch circle, cut out your biscuits and repeat until no more dough, I ended up have 6  3' biscuits.

Place on the middle rack of the preheated oven, cook for about 10 minutes or until golden. Devour fresh out of the oven while they are still warm and moist. As you can see this was not the best looking one but they disappeared before I could take a picture... The last survivor was delicious for breakfast with some cranberry sauce. I dare you to try them and not want to make them a Sunday tradition! I know I will be making them soon again :).



I will post two more Thanksgiving recipes later so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment