Sunday, November 20, 2011

Peppermint hot cocoa mix

The cold playing hide and seek got me thinking about hot cocoa, a few months ago I came across a homemade hot cocoa mix recipe on Brown Eyed Baker and I thought this would be a perfect addition to Christmas care packages. So this week end I decided that since my kitchen was I nice and clean it was the perfect opportunity to play with cocoa and powder sugar... yes I did cover my kitchen in light brown powder...

I also thought that Christmas and chocolate call for.... peppermint!!! I am not yet satisfied with that aspect but then again there can hardly be enough peppermint flavor for my taste and I kept adding more and more candy until I thought I had to stop :). This actually got me a few dark looks from someone trying to watch tv... Yes I did throw whole peppermint candies, 10 at a time in the food processor with a metal blade. I would suggest that you do that: when you are alone at home or very early on Sunday morning if you have stupid neighbors who kept you up until 2am hammering something upstairs (I may or may not talk from experience :) )

Before you read my thoughts about that recipe you need to know that I have never been a big hot cocoa mix fan, I usually make hot cocoa by cooking cocoa powder in milk with some sugar which leads to a richer and bolder flavor and texture.

The result was a little too sweet for my taste and I usually like my hot cocoa thicker, I am not sure what to do about the thickness but I did adjust the sugar in the recipe I am presenting (it's always easier to add sugar, much harder to remove it :) ), I wonder if reducing the amount of powdered milk would change the thickness, I will probably try 2 instead of 3 c when I do it again for Christmas (yes I will do it again and possibly update the recipe accordingly)

Ingredients
- 1 1/2 c cocoa powder
- 3 c fat-free powdered milk
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 c  white chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 14oz bag of peppermint candy

Instructions
- Mix the cocoa, milk, sugar, salt and chocolate in a big bowl. 
- Put half a batch at a time in a food processor equipped with a metal blade, add the candy and blend until you cannot hear it anymore... I am warning you this will be quite loud
- Add cocoa mix to your liking to cold milk and carefully bring to a boil while whisking, this is important to melt the candy, you can cool it down at that point if you like it cold or top it with marshmallow and/or whipped cream.

Notes:
1- Next time I will 
       - reduce the milk to 2c
       - increase the cocoa to 2c
       - possibly increase the salt

No comments:

Post a Comment