Saturday, November 5, 2011

First post: Potato and leek soup

Hi everyone!!!! (ok I know there is no one but "hi no one" makes for a terrible entrance... I have been toying with the idea of having my own food blog for quite a while now, that's what happens when I am left with too much time on my hands. I wrote that post like a 100 times in my head...


Let me first introduce to you my little family, my boy-friend, Matt and my girls, Trysta (or blacky) and Ariel (or whity), this picture was taken last week end, first snow of the year!!! in October already, where is that global warming everyone is talking about???
The first question was obviously what recipe to chose and honestly if I had to choose I would probably have picked an other one, one with more significance but today felt like a good day to start and that's what's for diner: soup in a bread bowl!!!

I have had soup in a bread bowl for the first time when I went to San Francisco for the first time, it was some sort of sea food chowder at the Fisherman's Wharf. That day I fell in love with it, feed soup + bread to a French girl, what else did you expect would happen!!! A while later I realized that Panera had similar dishes (their french onion soup in a bread bowl is SOOOO good!!!) and they sell the bread bowls... Ever since that I have been obsessed with it but never got to make it, yesterday I decided that today would be the day since I have been in a soup kind of mood recently. In order to satisfy everyone I have actually 3 kinds of soups in the fridge (or on their way to the fridge), I will get back to the two other soups in other posts, one is a mexican bean, corn and lime soup and the other one a chorizo and lima bean soup. Can you already tell I love beans?...

Anyway, leek and potato soup is delicious, hearty, creamy and yet healthy. It is one of those soups that make me feel all warm inside and bring back all sorts of childhood memory. As a little girl I had a baby sitter that would serve soup for lunch and dinner year round whether it was snowing or 100F did not matter. This is very typically French I think.


Ingredients:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 leeks, sliced and carefully washed (no one liked grit in their soup!!!)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1lb potatoes, diced, about 1/2 inch dice
- 2c stock

Recipe:
- melt the butter, saute the onions and leeks until soft but not brown
- add the potatoes and stock, bring to a boil and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through
- put in a food processor and blend until smooth
- adjust the texture of the soup with milk, cream or broth, I use milk for creaminess without the richness of cream
- season to taste
- serve in a bowl (regular or bread)

Leads to 2 servings

Notes:
1- I could only find trimmed leeks at the store but I whole ones, would be better and more leek-y and greener

2- the color on the picture is the result of me doing two things at the same time and browning the leeks and onions, but it still tastes good. If you pay more attention than me you will end up with a white/greenish result, much much prettier.

1 comment: