Sunday, January 8, 2012

Butternut squash soup

And I am back!!! Yes I know that I have not published in a week, it has been crazy times for us, I am now back in Florida, it is strange how much it feels like home. I am sad to see Matt leave tonight to go back to Philly but I am so happy to be able to spend time with my girl friends again, it is something I missed so much... I am almost all set here, if you consider camping as all set, I have an unfurnished two bedroom, with 2 dog crates, an air mattress, a tv and a found tv stand... it's very basic but only a few months :). I never had such an empty kitchen before, it's a strange feeling, I might post some pictures later maybe, right now I will mostly eat salads and sandwiches, I did see a few meat cuts that I will have to make because I have such a hard time finding them in PA, but that will come later. Tomorrow I will start teaching... I am TERRIFIED!!! 118 sophomore students, 90% guys and I will teach introduction to numerical methods (math...) everyone's favorite topic... I can feel the panic attack coming tonight and the sleepless night too :).

Right now I still have a few recipes to share with you from the holiday season, I will start with an easy soup (can you believe that I don't even have a cookie sheet?!!! I know, it's a shame).
Butternut squash soup (in an acorn squash bowl)
Ingredients:
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 or 2 onions, quartered
- 2 acorn squash, top cut and seeded
- olive oil
-  salt and pepper
- chicken (vegetable) stock

Instructions
 - Preheat oven to 400F

- Toss the butternut squash and onion with olive oil (about 1 tbsp), salt and pepper, spread on a baking sheet
- Season the acorn squash and place cut side down on a baking sheet
- Bake until cooked, fork tender about 45min

- Place the butternut squash and onion mixture in a food processor equipped with a metal blade, pulse until smooth, adjust the texture to taste with chicken stock, adjust seasoning.
- Ladle in the acorn bowls, you can top with sour cream and/or bacon bites

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment