Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Buffalo chicken wings (and oven baked fries)

I am sharing with you today one of my (our) favorite recipe, it is very simple and reasonably healthy, buffalo wings!!! (and oven baked fries), to be honest I am not which one is the best between the two but they are never enough potatoes. Matt is the one that introduced me to buffalo wings and it was actually the first "American" recipe I experimented with. As you might no, I am not a big fan of packaged products, this is why I looked around to make my own buffalo sauce, and I realized that most of them call for a whole lot of butter... more butter than hot sauce in some cases, which is something I don't really care for... The same thing with frying wings... 

I am giving you today a recipe for buffalo sauce as well as an oven grilling technique for the wings, I tried grilling them as is but it generated a thick smoke that made us feel like foxes in a hole...

Buffalo wings and oven baked fries
Ingredients
- chicken wings, separated at the joint, tips discarded
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves smashed
- 1 tbsp AP flour
- 1 c hot sauce (I use Crystal Louisiana hot sauce)
 - 1.5 lb potatoes, cut as fries and places in ice water
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt and pepper

Directions
 Prepare the wings by holding them and inserting a knife at the top of the joint, it should cut through very easily, do this at both joint and discard the tips (I freeze them for later use in chicken stock)
Place 1 inch of water in a large pot, place your wings if a steaming basket (I don't have one so I end up boiling rather than steaming), steam for 10 min.
Pat dry, line a baking sheet with paper towels, place the wings on it, cover with a paper towel and refrigerate for at least 1h
 Cut the potatoes (I do not peel them but feel free to do so) as thick fries and place in an ice bath until ready to use, I cook the wings and fries at the same time. Pat the fries dry, toss with oil, season (I use salt, pepper and sometime chili powder)
 Preheat the oven to 425F
Place the wings on a baking sheet, season with salt and pepper. 
Place wings and fries in the oven. Flip the wings after 20 minutes, cook for another 20 minutes, they should be golden brown and crispy. You can serve them as is for people who don't care for heat (or kids)
In the mean time, melt the butter in a medium sauce pan, saute the garlic until fragrant.
Add the flour, whisk into a roux, brown a little bit.
Slowly add the hot sauce, simmer to thicken if needed.
Toss the wings in the sauce.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment