Wednesday, December 21, 2011

New potatoes with onions and sausage


I am giving you a little break from sweets today, before baking the last cookies for Christmas. This recipe is very simple and delicious, I promise you won't be able to get enough of it!

It is an interesting variation on meat and potatoes
and you have to love the charred potatoes, at least I do. I was the first recipe I made in my brand new cast iron skillet, I lot it, it is so convenient to get some nice browning! the silicon handle is a must if you consider getting one :).

I apologize for the pictures, my camera has been acting up on me...

New potatoes with onions and sausage
Adapted from Bev cooks
Ingredients
- 1.5 lb new potatoes, skin on, halved or quartered depending on size
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 4-5 brats, 1 package, sliced (freezing them slightly helps slicing)

Directions
- Mix the water, mustard, paprika, vinegar and chicken stock, bay leaves & 1/2 tbsp salt in a medium pot, bring to a boil, simmer for a couple minutes.
- Add potatoes and onions, simmer for 15 min. (until cooked through)
- Drain the potatoes and onion (the original recipe calls for letting them sit in the water for 15 min but I skipped it, this might enhance the flavor)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat (medium if using a cast iron skillet)
- Add potatoes, onions and sausage, brown tossing often (to avoid burning) until the sausage is cooked through and you have nice browning.
- Fish the bay leaves out and serve

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment