Saturday, December 24, 2011

Chicken koftas

I apologize for this horrible horrible picture, I was really hungry and didn't really take time to clean the background, it is also kind of hard for me to make pretty pitas that hold well together :). 

I absolutely love this recipe, it is very easy and great the very strong cravings I can have for middle eastern food. Here we have a nice Iranian place where I can get that fix but it was the first time since I came to the US. Those chicken koftas are chicken meatballs (or patties) with middle eastern flavors. 

I eat them in a pita or with the same ingredients as a salad, for that I chop the koftas. Before I get to the meat of the recipe, let me discuss the toppings, it is really up to you but I enjoy lettuce, tomato and cucumber (I love those small Persian cucumbers that you can see on the left of the picture) and my to go sauce, Greek yogurt pulsed with cilantro, salt and pepper. It makes a great salad dressing too!
Feel free to add thinly sliced onions and garlic to the sauce.

Chicken koftas
Recipe adapted from Bev cooks
Ingredients
- 1lb ground chicken
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp all spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 c cilantro chopped
Toppings
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 small cucumber diced,
- 1 c of shredded lettuce
- 1/4 c greek yogurt
- 1/2 c cilantro
- 1/2 tsp lime juice
- pita pockets

Directions
- Mix all the the meatball ingredients (meat, spices, onion and cilantro) together in a bowl
- Form small meat balls (or patties) about 1 tbsp
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add the meatballs, brown one side, flip and brown on the other side.
- In the mean time pulse the yogurt, lime and cilantro together. Season.
- Heat the pita in the microwave for 15s under a damp paper towel 
- Open the pocket, add sauce, topping and meatballs.

You can also skip the pita, use more topping and turn it into a salad using the sauce as dressing and a few very thin onion slices.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment