Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sweet and sour chicken

I know, I know... I promised that post a few days ago, Friday I think, but I have had other things on my mind and recipes are piling up for me to publish so I need to get going. The recipe I am presenting you with today is one of Matt's favorite, he had been begging for it for at least two weeks I think. It is a very good fix for Chinese food and fairly simple, even if it is a little messy.

I rarely fry anything, I don't like the mess that results from it. Don't get me wrong, I won't pass on fried chicken if I am offered some and I do make some my self once in a while. Breading always turns out to be a huge mess though and this time did not break that rule but things went from bad to worse that evening... I wanted to make tea but turned on the wrong burner by mistake (not an unusual fact but the bread was resting on the pizza stone on the stove top hiding that fact), the direct heat shattered the stone, some bread took on fire and I ended up stepping on a piece of stone. That thing keeps heat to well, it's amazing and it is also gross to see how the fat sipped in the stone... I won't show you but yuck....

The recipe comes from one of my favorite blogs, Brown eyed baker
Ingredients
- 2 to 3 chicken breast, cubed
- 1 c cornstarch
- 2 eggs, beaten
- vegetable oil

sauce
- 3/4 c sugar
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 c white vinegar

Instructions
 Preheat the oven to 325F
Roughly cube the chicken, season with salt and pepper
 Toss the chicken in two batched in the egg and then the cornstarch. Heat oil in a saute pan over medium, high heat, brown the chicken on all sides in at least two batches.
 Mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl
Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil (makes clean up much easier). Layer the chicken and pour the sauce over it and toss to coat. Cook for 30 min to 1h, tossing the chicken every 15 min. Watch out not to over cook it or it will be tough.
Serve with rice and veggies, I usually serve it with brown rice and broccoli or green beans. You can also very easily double the recipe :).

No comments:

Post a Comment