Monday, December 5, 2011

Healthy beef chili

How do you know what you are going to cook any given week? for me it's always a bit of a mystery, when I am craving something it's very easy but I always keep a list of yummy recipe I came across when browsing through my usual food blogs. This is how I came up with a sudden chili craving, the fact that the weather cooled down quite a bit was also a big factor in that choice.

The recipe that made it on my list was actually that one, it does sound very decadent and serious but I was looking for something more for an every day use, and more budget friendly. It is amazing how many chili recipes I have collected.... I was looking for something moist, slightly spicy, meaty and yet healthy. I decided to make chili show down and compare two very different recipe, it turns out that they are both from Aggie's kitchen. I am presenting you today with this one, it turned out fairly different from the picture shown and actually much more to my liking :).

Beef Chili
Ingredients
- 1.5 lb lean ground beef (I used 95/5)
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 2 onions
- 2 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (I will try 1 with seeds next time)
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp cornmeal
- salt & pepper
- 1 can red beans
- 1 can pinto beans
- 2 cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 c water

 Instructions
 Heat oil in a dutch oven or large pot over medium heat, add meat and garlic and cook while crumbling the beef.
 Add vegetable and spice, cook until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 min. Season generously!!!
Add the beans, cook for another 5 min
Add the tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil and then simmer over low heat for at least 1h, the longer it simmers the better it gets.

Serve hot with or without toppings. Suggested toppings are shredded cheese (pepper jack being my favorite), sour cream, or lighter options such as Greek yogurt or laughing cow wedge (this is actually delicious!!! I added a light chipotle flavored one and it was surprisingly creamy and delicious and yet light and healthy, same goes w Greek yogurt instead of sour cream...)

No comments:

Post a Comment