Tuesday, December 6, 2011

White turkey chili

Here is my second chili recipe, as I said yesterday, they are as different as can be. White vs. red, color, meat and beans, even the peppers are different. That recipe is probably less hearty but I loved it, it hit all the right notes for me, more broth-y and yet meaty. Overall very healthy and I would say don't skip on the Greek yogurt, it does really make a huge difference.
Talking about Greek yogurt, have you noticed how much more expensive it is compared to so called regular yogurt, it is ridiculous!!! and yet it is so much better. A little while back I heard on the Food network that you can fake Greek yogurt by straining regular yogurt, I did not do anything with that information but stored it in the back of my brain.Then recently my grocery store ran out of fat-free plain Greek yogurt (how that is possible, I don't know, but it happened) so it came back to my mind. Here is how it went:
- lined a sieve with a paper towel
- placed it over a container
- put regular yogurt in it
- folded the towel over it
- set it aside for a few hours
- Greek yogurt appeared when I went back to it!!!! Return to the container that it came from after washing it (the container, not the yogurt!!!!)
It is quite amazing how much liquid is extracted, obviously you do lose volume but I think that it it worth it, at least as a back up trick to keep handy.
This is the original recipe, I would probably add a jalapeno next time for an added kick

White turkey chili
Ingredients
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 4 medium poblano peppers
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, will replace it by a jalapeno pepper next time
- 1 lb lean ground turkey (99/1)
- 2 cans white beans, whole, not rinsed or drained
- 4 c chicken broth
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 can hominy drained and rinsed (am I the only one to think that hominy tastes like barn???)
- Greek yogurt for topping

Instructions
 Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot or Dutch oven (French if you go for Le Creuset :) ). Add veggies, cook until soft, about 8 min, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and spices, bloom for 30s.
 Add the turkey, crumbling it as it cooks, cook until no longer pink.
Add the beans, broth and oregano, cook partially covered, stirring occasionally for about 25 min. 
Add hominy, season to taste and cook partially covered for an other 10 minutes.
Serve hot, with yogurt and lime if you wish, I did only the yogurt and it does make the chili white, light and creamy!!! Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment