Friday, December 23, 2011

Sables


Back to cookies, I am keeping the best for last but today I am sharing a family recipe. This recipe was not planned but Matt received some interesting cookie cutter as early Christmas present and was very excited to test them. I had never seen cookie cutters like that, they are a lot of fun! You can see the results on the left, aren't they cute?

Like the marzipan this is a recipe that comes from my mom's side of the family. This recipe caused me some trouble, I don't really know what happened, I made it dozens of time as a child and it worked perfectly but this time I had to double the cornstarch to get the texture right... I am giving you both measurements (original and current). They make delicious tea (or coffee) cookies and I would think you can add icing if you wish, the original recipe also calls for lemon zest but I never used it so I skipped it.
 
Sables
Ingredients
- 2sticks (1c) butter (250g), room temperature
- 200g sugar
- 1 egg
- 250-500g cornstarch
- 5g baking powder (1/2 sachet levure chimique)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract



Directions
 - Preheat oven to 350F
- Cream butter, sugar and egg
- Stir in 250g of cornstarch, baking powder and vanilla extract. Add more cornstarch if needed, the dough should come together and be dry enough to roll (1/4' thickness) and cut out cookies.
- Place cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. they might expand a little but not much
- Bake 10-15 min (depending on size) until they are golden, keep an eye on them, they can burn on you in an instant.
- Remove from the oven let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes, otherwise they will break when you try to move them, they are very fragile when hot. Finish cooling on a cooling rack.

This dough should make a few dozen cookies (depending on size)

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment