Monday, December 12, 2011

Buttermilk pancakes

One of my favorite things to do over the week end is brunch, it is so versatile and who does not like brunch food!!! This week end I made buttermilk biscuit, sausage and egg sandwiches but I already shared my buttermilk biscuit recipe with you a few weeks back. This is why I chose to share with you another very versatile recipe that I made last week end: buttermilk pancakes!!!

Pancake are so great, you can top them with chocolate, or fruit such as blueberries or apples, or anything you wish, you could even go for a sweet and salty version, can you say bacon pancakes?!!! Anyway, this time I went for apple.
This week end we welcomed two new addition to our household, a Keurig coffee maker and a bonzai!!! The first one for Matt, the second one for my self!!! I wonder how long it will take me to kill that one (Sharon, do you care to help? ;) ). I am not a big coffee fan (it doesn't like me back either...) but I have to admit that I love the Keurig coffee maker as it is very versatile, we tried tea, warm apple cider and sweet iced tea so far and it works great. You can also use it to make a quick cup of tea, you will just have to grind your tea.

Buttermilk pancakes
Based on a recipe from 101 cookbooks
Ingredients
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- 1 c AP flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 c buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp butter, melted in the pan you are going to use
- 1 apple, cored, peeled and thinly sliced (optional, use the topping of your choice, or none)

Directions
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar & salt. Slowly stir in buttermilk, to avoid lumps. Whisk in eggs and melted butter.
- Heat a pan over medium heat, cook about 1/2 c of batter at a time, depending on the size of your pan and the size of pancakes you are looking for. Add whatever topping you choose. Cook until it is golden on the side and at the bottom, you will see bubbles form. Flip and brown the other side (this will be much faster).
- Pile high with syrup and dig in!!! (if you can resist eating them right off the pan :) ).

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment